Friday, August 22, 2008

Where In The World?


Yes, I am in Abu Dhabi once again. Let me share a bit about how things ended though. Camp was officially done Aug 15th, and I was ready for that. It was a great summer, but it was a long one too. I made a few friends there that will last a lifetime, but most were just friends for a season that I'm none the less grateful for. I always knew I had a passion for persons with special needs, but I didn't fully understand how deep and strong that passion was. Being able to meet and work and befriend so many amazing campers there is really indescribable. So don't be surprised if one day I end up in some "job" that enables me to be one-on-one with person with mental and physical disabilities. =)
I arrived in California in the afternoon on the 16th. Being in the mid-west for so long made me appreciat
e Cali more than I ever had before. I am a city girl for sure, never will I be a country girl! Rochelle picked me up at LAX and that alone was fantastic to be together again. One of the first things we did was to go get my eyebrow RE-pierced! =) That night we met up with the girls; Damaris, Kelly, Katie and Leah. We all sat around, drinking wine, sharing our summer stories with one another. All the girls had such different, such fun adventures, it was great to hear them in PERSON! I'm so thankful for those girls. And our next reunion, in January will be even sweeter!
The next day I went to the Warped Tour with Murf. We had no idea what to expect-other than lots of music! We got to the concert around 1pm & it was packed! There were about 8 stages with bands continuously playing on each one. There were tons of booths at this place too.
All the booths, including Invisible Children and To Write Love On Her Arms traveled with Warped Tour all summer long, they were considered "Roadies." Maybe I should do that next summer! =) That day, August 17th was the LAST day of the tour. My favorite two bands were "Forever the Sickest Kids"(got to hug the entire band!) and "Reliant K," of course they were my favs because I knew all the songs they were singing, unlike many of the SCREAMO bands! We left around 8pm. It was one crazy, but really fun day and I'd most def go again!
Then the 18th came, the day I was heading to the UAE. I got to see more people I care a lot about. The 2 1/2 days I was in LA were great! Being in Abu Dhabi has been HOT! An average day is about 118 degrees F! No joke! And it does NOT cool off, ever! Whatever we do, we do inside. The pool, it feels like a bath-tub, yuck! It's been nice to do...nothing. Just visit with my mom and Al and getting ready for OXFORD!
I leave in 2 days for London! I'm meeting a friend in Stansted and we are flying to Germany the morning of the 26th. We got a Eurail for Germany, Switzerland, Austria and the Czech Republic! Our return flight to London is on Sep 8th. I've never been to ANY of the countries before, I am stoked! We're meeting up with another friend somewhere in Germany. I have no expectations for all that is about to come, just excitement, ready for all the adventures that are about to unfold! I've never even stayed in a hostel before. The fact that I'm actually going to Europe and staying there for 4 months has not really hit me yet. And I don't think it will until I'm alone at Heathrow Airport trying to figure out how to get to Stansted the cheapest way possible. Until next time.....


3 comments:

Rebecca said...

yay!!! Thanks for the update. It sounds like you are doing as great as ever!

Anonymous said...

Amanda! SO exciting... I can't wait for the next post. I miss you, love.

Brenda said...

Its so true. . .when you leave Cali you realize what a great place it is to live. California is the best!